Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Jack the Dripper"

Jackson Pollock is known for his pioneering of abstract expressionism (no recognizable subject that expressed the unconscious.) He is best known for his work during the "drip period." Using sticks, knives, and impasto mixed with sand/broken glass, he would fling and drip paint over a canvas on the floor. He claimed that none of his paintings were an accident and that he had an idea of how he wanted it to look before he started. He started numbering his paintings so people would not judge his paintings by the title.

"When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It is only after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about. I have no fear of making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well."


you can make your own pollock creation here..
go ahead and express your unconscious side...:)


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock
Culture and Values: A survey of the Humanities 6th Edition by Lawrence C. Cunningham/ John J. Reich

No comments:

Post a Comment